ABC7’s The More in the Morning team spoke with Dr. Michael K. Kim, Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, to discuss abdominoplasty, otherwise known as a tummy tuck. It has to start with who is a good candidate and who is willing to alter their lifestyle.
Who May Be a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
By and large, you are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck given the following conditions:
- You are in excellent health and would love to get rid of loose, sagging abdominal skin and/or strengthen weak abdominal muscles
- You just had childbirth and would like to improve the appearance of your belly following childbirth
- You just experienced massive weight loss but would like to get rid of the loose fat or skin extending to your back or sides
- You are more or less within the range of your ideal weight
- You have realistic expectations of the surgery
Who May Not Be a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
You may not be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck if:
- You have existing health problems – you may have to make sure that you are fully healed or recovered from such health condition
- You are overweight or underweight – you may have to gain more weight or shed a few pounds
- You have plans of getting pregnant in the future – it may be best to postpone tummy tuck after your last pregnancy as the muscles that are lifted and tightened during a tummy tuck may separate again during pregnancy and childbirth